Collard Greens with Caramelized Onions
October 7th 2017
Did you know collard greens are superb for improving bone health? These greens are loaded with calcium which can help reduce the risk of osteoporosis and other bone-related diseases!
1 large yellow organic onion, sliced
2 cloves organic garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (1/2 tsp. + 1/4 tsp.)
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch organic collard greens
1/4 cup water
1. Peel the onion and slice it into half moons. Chop the garlic.
2. Place a large pot on the stove and turn the heat on to medium. Add the oil and heat for about 1 minute.
3. Add the sliced onion and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, stir, then cover with a lid. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
4. Remove the lid and add the garlic. Cook, stirring often, uncovered, until tender and light golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes more.
5. Meanwhile, stack several collard leaves together. Starting at the leafy end, slice 1-inch strips crosswise until you reach the stems.
6. Once the onion is golden brown, stir in the vinegar, red pepper, and black pepper. Add the collard greens and use tongs to toss with the onion and garlic. Add the water, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the collards are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Serve.