Healthier Green Bean Casserole
November 16th 2017
This healthier green bean casserole is just as comforting and decadent as the classic recipe!
2 pounds organic green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
Crispy Onion Topping Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 medium organic onion, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup freshly-grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
Mushroom Sauce Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces organic white button or baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 cloves organic garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup milk (any milk will work)
1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bring a large stockpot of water to a boil.
2. Heat half of the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté, for about 5 minutes. Transfer the onions to a separate mixing bowl.
3. Add the remaining half tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add in the Panko breadcrumbs and stir until combined, for about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer the Panko to the bowl with the onions. Stir in the Parmesan and salt, and toss the mixture until combined. Set aside.
4. In the same sauté pan that you used to cook the onion and Panko, heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, and stir to combine. Sauté for an additional minute to cook the flour.
5. Slowly add chicken (or vegetable) broth. Whisk in milk, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Let cook for an additional minute until thickened, then stir in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper until the cheese is melted. Reduce heat to low until the sauce is ready to be tossed with the green beans.
6. Add the green beans to the large stockpot of boiling water and boil for 3-5 minutes. Drain the green beans.
7. Transfer the green beans into the pan with the mushroom sauce and toss until combined. Pour the green bean mixture into a baking dish that has been greased with cooking spray. Then sprinkle the onion topping evenly on top. Bake for 25 minutes.